Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Well, I'm going to Nepal




My next adventure is taking me to Nepal!


I will be living in a town called Pokhara. It's west of the capital city Kathmandu.




I'm working as a volunteer at the Chetana Women's Skill Development Program (CWSDP). This is a weaving co-op that is ran by a Nepalese woman. Around twenty women are at the CWSDP at this point. All of them are learning weaving and design skills. With the skills learned at the CWSDP these women are able to be self-sufficient in a largely male dominated society. My purpose in working at the co-op is to teach the women dyeing and design skills. Pokhara serves as a hub for many trekkers who are embarking on various Himalayan trek's and rafting trips, so there is a lot of tourist traffic. My goal is to help the women develop products and color stories that will be more marketable to these tourists.

I've been sent a PDF of the products produced at the CWSDP. Many of their products have very garish color stories. Hopefully I can teach a little bit of color theory in the dyeing workshop. By adding a few neutral threads to their cloth, I think we could get a really different look. Teaching the dyeing workshop is going to be my biggest challenge however because I am unsure of what kind of dye they use, at what quantity they dye the raw fiber...cost...etc.

I don't quite know what my internet situation will be like in Pokhara. I feel like my attempt to blog from Ghana was a major fail. Hopefully this time around I will be able to update more often.


I leave tomorrow evening. Wish me luck.

Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment