Saturday, May 23, 2009

I arrived safely in GHANA, and what an adventure it has been already in only 2 days...to say the least. I am writing from Keta, a large town about an hour from the village where I am staying called Atorkor. The internet costs 60 cents for an hour. I don't think I will be able to make it here often, so I'm taking this opportunity to write.

It is hot, so hot. Today the first order of business was getting my hair braided...to help with the heat. The food is simple but so good, spicy and delicious. I am especially loving the fruit, pineapple for every meal! We are staying in the chief's residence, that means we have running water which is such a blessing. Also, I understand that there are only 2 air conditioners in the entire village, one in the common room of our home, and the other in the home of Mama Keeli's house where we eat, so we have somewhat of a monopoly on the AC's. haha.

Our first night was spent under a mosquito netted bed. It gets dark early here, around 6 pm. After that time we are supposed to stay indoors because of the mosquitoes and the risk for malaria as well as our general safety. From our room we could hear "half night" which is a prayer session taking place in the church behind our house, it lasts for, as you could guess "half night" or until about midnight. It sounded like singing and celebration. This combined with the sound of goats and chickens made for a sweet lullaby to fall asleep to on our first night in Atorkor. I think I could get used to this. Until then, Mia dogo emegbe! (See you later in Ewe)



Joyce, Me, Stefanie @ Internet Cafe, Keta

2 comments:

  1. Even though you may not have an opportunity to check (or update) this site any time soon, I want to tell you that I think what you're doing is amazing.
    Continue to fight the good fight! And please post photos when you have an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you made it safe and sound. Without question this sounds like the experience of a lifetime. Soak it up and good luck!

    ReplyDelete